Wednesday, March 4, 2009

11. A new job (farming) and a doctor cum friend

One day, we were in our hostel, and Sameer’s room was the favourite time-pass spot for all of there. There was a friend, Rahul (the most notorious of all the people there, god knew how ideas, for creating trouble for others, came into his mind). The cupboard provided to us, was big enough that Rahul actually got inside it. He took his cell phone and started video mode in that. When I arrived in Sameer’s room, everyone behaved as if everything was normal. So, I sat on bed at ease and joined the discussion going on. After some time, Sameer in his natural tone asked me to take biscuits out of the cupboard. I got up and went towards the cupboard. In the meanwhile, Sameer was also ready with his cell’s video mode on. As I opened the door, suddenly a loud shout came from inside and Rahul jumped on me. Ohh my god !! I was frightened like hell. My heart-rate went so high that I thought I would fell on floor, I was blanked as to what was happening around me for some time(when everybody there were enjoying that and laughing at top of their voice). As I tried to compose myself, I saw everyone laughing like mad people and to add to that, they also had video recording of the whole incident.

This was just one incident, there were many more non-sense activities going around in our hostel, like throwing water on someone, and wetting him from top to bottom for no reason, kicking someone’s ass on his birthday to such an extent that for the next two days, sitting reminds him of the sin done by him by taking birth or atleast being a part of that group.

One day, Sameer and I, went to rice fields, at the daytime, when some farmers were working there. We went to them, and started interacting with them. One of them reacted in an unexpected way, and we were taken aback, a bit. It was then that, Disha’s words came in my mind and did exactly how she told to handle various types of people. It worked. We where able to extract lots of information about them, efforts they used to put in their work, irrigation facilities and services provided to them by government, and what all they required. After sometime when we became quite familiar with them, we asked them allow us to do something. We tried our hands on so many things, including, riding a tractor, which I should mention was not as easy as it looks from outside. It was a fun to do those things for once, but we didn’t even have the courage to think of doing it ever the next time. These people worked under the scorching heat of the sun for almost whole year and then after that, earning so less that, its really difficult for them to get their children educated and secure a good future for them. They gave their best, for their children but just because of so many people as middle-men (or the owner of land), they didn’t get the price they deserved. We could see what it means being a farmer (or any labourer) in a country like us.

Government allots money for improvement of agriculture, but it never reaches to these hard-workers. Or if at all somehow it reaches, it’s not enough to help them improve. Corruption had become an integral part of our political bodies. Every politician who gets money from government, to distribute it among his lower counterparts, he first tries to fill his pocket (infact overload it) and then whatever amount left, after his hunger is satisfied, passes to other, who in turn do the same. We knew that again we were getting into the same thing of blame-game. Anyways, due to this trip, we confronted many other aspects, and needs of people close to earth (who grew the food we ate, never bothering to think about their life, their children who ideally should have been studying in some school getting proper education).

In the meantime, I usually had talks with Sagar, Karan, Arsh and Disha on phone. They all told about what’s going on there. Once, Sagar told me about the thrilling experience of the first post-mortem that he saw. He told that, they were standing in a group and when it began, and two of his friends collapsed. And also about the funny people he encountered, during the case studies of patients.

And one more incident I remember was when he was moving around with his apron on, then a patient came to him, thinking that he was doctor. Sagar explained him that he was a student, but when person compelled him to go through his reports, he went through it, and understanding the case to great extent, as he started, the person interrupted and said, ‘ I had shown this to other doctor, and he said that there is no way out and no hope...., do you also think the same ?’ Hearing this and seeing the expectation on the face of patient Sagar tried to handle situation in a positive manner and replied ‘See, I am a student, I seriously don’t know whether there is possibility or not, but then I myself being a medical student want to tell you one thing that why do we let our lives governed by some diseases, medicines and most all by some other person(doctor), is this great-great gift from GOD, Life is so small that we just get disheartened because of a report. Naaa, please sir, try to understand we become as weak as we feel ourselves to be, when we have got a chance to live, then why worry about future and be afraid of anything. The only death that I know is fear. Don't let it rule or shape your life, it would lead you to nowhere.' ‘and listen, live this life to its fullest till it gives an opportunity, fight against the odds, you never know one beautiful day might bring with itself a nice surprise of your being absolutely fine. Keep smiling, people look good with a smile on their face :).’ Sagar actually said this, ohh my god (the movie Munna Bhai MBBS, did all it intended to do, as doctors began thinking on those lines). He also said that after hearing to those firing lines by him, the person felt so lightened and started seeing a ray of light amidst of clouds surrounding him.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful...the last paragraph brought tears to my eyes. Wonderfully written. There can be a short story written on this incidence. Hats off to you for thinking such a great thing.

    'The only death I know is fear.' Great words. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Buzz -- I'm glad you liked it but one thing that I would definitely mention that this was not my line, I read it in a book of Swami Vivekananda, liked it so wrote. I would not like to take credit for the thing which is not mine :)

    ReplyDelete