Wednesday, March 4, 2009

10. Meeting after a long time

Actually the problem with all of my school group was that, our holidays occurred at different time, so it had been a year since we all met each other at the same time. As was the ‘default’ case, we came to the same place, to these hills. Meeting each other after such a long time was the most delightful treat in itself. We all had lots and lots of things to share. Karan had developed a new style of speaking, which looked more of a casual tone. Sagar had developed a charming personality, Arsh, he had become even stronger than before and kind of more disciplined, didn’t speak much, Disha, she had become enamouring and was more influential with her style of speaking.

Karan was most excited to tell his story first so he started – ‘Hey guys !!! I had told you about Prerna.’ Then we all replied in chorus (intentionally) ‘naaa, who ... who’s Prerna?’ J He shied a bit, but not for long, and continued , ‘Shut up !! and listen. After going from here so far away from home, I really found it difficult to adjust over there, with no-one else from here. Whole day long I used to think about our school days, as we did almost every kind of non-sense there but there don’t know why life had become so uninteresting. I missed my family badly, especially my grandmom. It took me quite sometime get adjusted to that environment. Then .....’ ( now this was the worst part of Karan , he used to stop after saying such a word that would piss someone off ) We all asked in a furious tone ‘Then what ????’ He said ‘ok ok... Be patient, I’m continuing. One day, when I was attending my lecture, suddenly I heard a query from a girl sitting on the rightmost row. I was captivated by her voice and as I turned to see her, I was flabbergasted.’ It was just the mention of this incident that Karan’s face lit up and he just couldn’t hide the smile on his face. He was blushing to utmost extent. He continued ‘see, I know that, you all will think that this happens to me always, (to which we all nodded) (he smiled) even I thought the same that time. And tried to forget that, as I (kind of) didn’t want to live in present, I was so happy to live in past. But somehow after that instant, I couldn’t compose myself. Moreover, I don’t why that happened to me always, but I encountered her almost everywhere in the campus wherever I went.’ ‘But, I think that time I was cherishing all that, everything just seemed to turn so bright, all of sudden some colours started to pour into my dull life over there. I began listening to some light songs. Everything looked cheerful.’(he went to those memories and stopped, and this point Sagar interrupted Karan, the poet, to continue with story).

‘hmm... then as I began thiking of her always, and realized this time it was different. I somehow came to know her name. And then, began looking for an opportunity to talk to her. It came soon, but there was not any effort from my side for the same. We were sitting in a class, when the teacher asked a question, to which both of us replied. But, the answers were exactly opposite. Now this is the worst thing about any teacher that he always asks students to discuss among themselves and find who was correct. We began, and as I was sure about the answer, I stood firm with it, and soon that discussion turned into an argument. The problem was that, she had misinterpreted question and was not ready to accept it. So, finally teacher cut-off our fight, but he was late, our first talk (of which I saw so many beautiful dreams) was totally screwed.’

‘Prerna was a different girl with an innocent face, child-like smile, very simple in attitude and yet modern in approach. And she looks awesome when she wears salwar-suit. And I was very impressed talking to her in class(the way she stood by her answer). I actually began liking all the things she did. Then, at last after 3-4 days after that foolish quarrel, I got an opportunity to talk to her. We both were simultaneously present at the juice centre of our college. I don’t know why but I think that was the first time when I thought so much before talking to a girl. At last, I composed myself, tried to gather all the courage, and spoke, ‘hii...’, she was standing besides me, she smiled and replied sweetly ‘hii’. Then I felt, a bit ease and continued, ‘Our first conversation was amazing, hah ,,, ( I tried to sound funny, but knew that it didn’t make any impact)’. Then she said ‘yaa, we were fighting like small children, actually I misinterpreted the question.’ I replied ‘are.... leave it !! so what’s your name (although I knew that) ?? I am Karan.’ And that was where we started and then got to know many more things gradually. I found her very sober, and not like what I had thought her to be. Our thoughts matched to a great extent. One most important thing was her love for animals, nature, and was very much disappointed by the way they were exploited in our country, and rate at which deforestation was taking place.

‘ I’m not sure guys, but I think I love her. Her simplicity, her concern and such a down to earth attitude. Everything's good about her. She is just charismatic.’ Saying these words he stopped and again went deep into some thoughts. All this time, we were just enjoying his narration about their small and beautiful story. We were amazed by the seriousness of Karan, entry of someone in his life had really changed him. Apart from this, Karan also mentioned about the knowledge he had been gathering on increasing the efficiency of Solar Cells, and what all new materials could decrease its cost. He told us about the project he had been thinking to undertake, next year. We were together for next 4 days, as Arsh had to leave. He had just got 15 days vacation and had arrived 10 days before we met. And soon after that Sagar also had to leave. It was late by then, so we left.

We met every day till Arsh was there. Then everyday we discussed our lives, and I was sooo happy to tell them about my decision in life and what situations led me to come that conclusion . The only good decision that I took. All of them admired it. And were glad that, the only odd-one out person in there group was no more odd. For both Sagar and Disha, they had formed a proper friend circle in college and there was nothing sort of ‘love case’ with them. They were enjoying there life completely. Sagar had joined a research team in college and explained us in simple language (as it would have been really difficult for us to understand medical terms and that would have gone far above our heads) that they were involved in finding treatment of various incurable diseases and also to reduce the costs of some of other medicines. We asked Sagar about the names of his friends and then started teasing him with the name of his friends, for which he had a hard time to explain us, that there was nothing of that sort. Immediately, Arsh (smiling) pointed that ‘what sort? We were just speaking about you and Anjali as friends, thats it. What were you thinking, hah ??’ We just tried to trap Sagar in some way or the other.

Then Disha told us about her college, and friends. She told us about what all things were required to be kept in mind during an interview and how to deal with situations involving various people. Then she told us about her friends, and before we could pull her legs on anything she herself told us about a friend close to her, but mentioned clearly that there was nothing more than friendship till then.

Then came the turn of Arsh, he told us about the various kind of training and exercises they are made to do, and also about the ones he found tough among them. He told that they hardly went outside the academy, and when they used to go, they were bound to return within some specific time. Then he also taught us some trick of self-defence in case of any adverse situation, and also some tricks which would help us face any person, better built than us. We cherished those lessons. And he specially gave some tips to Disha, to face a situation in which she had to handle some group of people (as she was going to be an environmentalist and who knew what all absurd situation may arise in front of her). He also justified the necessity of every female being self-dependent, and not to rely on any other person to come and help them out of some inauspicious situation. We all paid heed to what he told, as he also mentioned that, that problems don’t arrive after knocking door, asking for permission to get-in. They just come and a person had to be ready always to give it a proper reply. He told – ‘see, any kind of defence force, may it be police, army, or commandoes, they cannot be present everywhere at every point of time. All the citizens should try and understand this and be fit enough, and have that much courage, not to let any person create instability in their country. He asked us to be healthy enough, and also to follow some specific exercises and also to pass on this information to as many people as possible.’

This is the worst part of life that, when you want time to move at a slow pace, it runs. Soon the time of our departure arrived, and then we all were back to the business. As one year of college life passed, similarly the 2nd year too.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting...nice description...especially that fixup bw prerna and the guy.

    most bad in the last paragraph ko worst se change kar do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Buzz --- Thanks a lot for being the regular visitor of my story, and I changed it. Keep reading, it really feels great when someone appreciates your work. :)

    ReplyDelete